Dental Implants – Most Important Tips for Your Oral Health
Top 11 oral health tips to keeps your teeth and gums healthy for life.
These oral health tips will assist you in both preventing and promoting oral health for a lifetime.
1. Brush your teeth after every meal, aiming for three times per day minimum. Make sure how you are brushing is the right way as brushing the wrong way can cause damage to the gums. Ask your dentist or dental hygienist to observe you brushing so they can make modifications if needed.
2. Use a fluoride toothpaste to help prevent cavities and oral disease. Fluoride is antibacterial and thus can help eliminate bacteria that cause oral disease.
3. Use a toothbrush with soft nylon bristles. It is a misconception that hard bristles clean better than soft, it is about good brushing technique not the type of bristles which matter.
4. Floss once per day. Ensure your technique is proper to reach well below the gumline where the bacteria accumulate.
5. Never use your teeth to open things, for example bottles or peels of fruit.
6. Give up smoking. Not only does smoking have a detrimental effect on systemic health it is very harmful to the oral tissue. Smoking can cause precancerous and cancerous lesions to form on oral tissue.
7. Drink plain tea without milk or sugar, it can help prevent cavities.
8. If you cannot brush after a snack or meal, chew a piece of sugarless gum. It will help stimulate your saliva flow and loosen up bits of food on the biting surface of your teeth.
9. Replace your toothbrush approximately every 3 months or sooner if the bristles are bent.
10. Wear a sportsguard if you play sports.
11. See your dentist and dental hygienist regularly.
Dr.Nathan Haas has been a practising dentist in Toronto, Canada for 13 years. He graduated from Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry in 1997 and prior to that completed his undergraduate degree at University of Toronto.
Stonebrook Dental is Dr.Nathan Haas’ family dental practice located in North York (Toronto) which provides the highest quality dental services such as; laser, implant, cosmetic and restorative dentistry.
Toronto Dentist, Dr.Nathan Haas and his dental team provide unique free dental programs to city of Toronto residents such as Toddler Day at Dentist Program and Oral Cancer Screening Program. http://www.drnathanhaas.com